Glitter Force is the first Glitter Force series of the first two Glitter Force seasons. It is made up of two seasons of 20 episodes. It is the English dub of Smile Pretty Cure!, the ninth anime series of the Pretty Cure franchise.
The first season was released on December 18, 2015, and the second season was released on August 26, 2016.
Five preteen girls learn they're a legendary superhero squad known as the Glitter Force. Their mission? To defend Earth from evil fairy-tale villains.
- Emily/Glitter Lucky (Hoshizora Miyuki/Cure Happy)
The leader of the Glitter Force. She loves fairy tales and is a bit clumsy. She transfers to Rainbow Hills Middle School in the first episode, where she meets the other protagonists. She can transform into Glitter Lucky and uses the power of Holy Light. Her theme color is pink.
- Kelsey/Glitter Sunny (Hino Akane/Cure Sunny)
The passionate one of the Glitter Force. Being the ace of the volleyball club, she is quite athletic, and kind too, since she helped Emily on her first day of school. She can transform into Glitter Sunny, and uses the power of Fire. Her theme color is orange.
- Lily/Glitter Peace (Kise Yayoi/Cure Peace)
The shy one of the Glitter Force. Even though she often cries and is rather shy, she is loyal and honest. She dreams of becoming an artist and being a superhero. She can transform into Glitter Peace, and uses the power of Lightning. Her theme color is yellow.
- April/Glitter Spring (Midorikawa Nao/Cure March)
The mature one of the Glitter Force. Being the older sister of 5 (later 6) younger siblings, she acts more mature than the rest of the Glitter Force. Also being the ace of the soccer club, she is quite fast, and just like Kelsey, athletic. She can transform into Glitter Spring, and uses the power of the Wind. Her theme color is green.
- Chloe/Glitter Breeze (Aoki Reika/Cure Beauty)
The smart one of the Glitter Force. Growing up in a talented family, she aspires to become a gentle lady who is respected by everyone. She doesn’t get scared easily and often has a calm expression. She is the Vice President (later President) of the Student Council and a member of the Archery Club. She can transform into Glitter Breeze, and uses the power of Snow and Ice. Her theme color is blue.
One of Emperor Nogo's commanders. He resembles the Big Bad Wolf. He often causes mischief with Brute but can be quite tactical.
One of Emperor Nogo's commanders. He resembles the trolls (oni) of Japanese fairy tales. He can be quite oblivious, and often doesn’t understand basic things, but, like his name says, he is a physically powerful brute.
One of Emperor Nogo's commanders. She resembles the Witch. She often makes potions and invents things as a hobby, but she always loses them when Ulric and Brute throw them away to Earth. Whenever this happens, the members of the Glitter Force have to deal with their magical effects. Brooha can cast a spell to temporarily turn herself young, but the spell has a time limit.
The secondary antagonist of the series, He is the leader of the commanders, and the strongest. He resembles a harlequin or a joker. He often acts weird, often dancing and jumping around, but he actually possesses a great amount of dark energy. He gives the commanders new Buffoon noses and is strong enough to make the Glitter Shadow Force, evil counterparts of the original Glitter Force.
- Emperor Nogo/Pierrot
The main antagonist of the series, he resembles a giant clown. He resides in the Shadow Realm, since the Queen drained his energy, and needs dark energy to be revived again, thus ordered his commanders to do so. He is the living embodiment of all of humanity's negative emotions and desires to bring an unhappy ending to the entire universe.
The monster summoned by the commanders. They are created when a Buffoon's nose is combined with any sort of object (e.g. a house or a volleyball), resulting in a giant version of the object with clown features. With the exception of Blue-Nosed Buffoons, they yield at least one Glitter Charm to the Glitter Force when they're defeated.
- Queen Euphoria/Royale Queen
The queen of Jubiland. When fighting Emperor Nogo, her powers were weakened, and to be revived, she needs all the Glitter Charms together. She ordered Candy to go to Earth, find the Glitter Force, and collect the Glitter Charms.
A small sheep-like pixie sent to Earth by Queen Euphoria. She came to Earth through a flying book and crashed into Emily's face. She is an energetic, childish, and kind pixie. She sometimes helps the Glitter Force in their battles. She is the younger sister of Pop.
A lion-like pixie from Jubiland. Always covering his right eye with hair, he is a strong warrior and is able to transform into anything, ranging from a shield to a giant bird. He came to Earth to aid the Glitter Force and spends a lot of time with Candy. He is the older brother of Candy.
- Glitter Pact/Smile Pact
A small device that resembles a makeup compact. The Glitter Force/Smile Precure uses the Glitter Pacts/Smile Pacts to transform and attack. Additionally, they can be used outside of combat to activate the powers of the Glitter Charms.
- Glitter Charm/Cure Decor
Small tokens that the Glitter Force/Smile Precure has to collect. They contain the power of the Queen and can be either used to revive her or to create a Buffoon. Each Glitter Charm has its own power (e.g. summoning an object), which can be activated by putting it in a Glitter Pact/Smile Pact, the Charm Chest, or the Royal Clock.
- Charm Chest/Decor Décor
The chest where the collected Glitter Charms go to. When the Charm Chest is filled up with Glitter Charms, something special happens.
- Princess Wand/Princess Candle
The main weapon of the Glitter Force. Together with the power of the Princess Glitter Charms, the Glitter Force can transform into Princess Mode, and perform their most powerful group attack, Rainbow Burst.
Another weapon of the Glitter Force/Smile Precure. It can transform the girls into their Princess Forms, and let them perform an upgraded form of Rainbow Burst: Royal Rainbow Burst.
The magical kingdom of fairytales, the Glitter Force has to save. Queen Euphoria rules the kingdom, and Pop lives there. Candy used to live in Jubiland, but she now lives on Earth with the Glitter Force.
- Rainbow Hills Middle School/Nanairogaoka Middle School
The school the Glitter Force goes to.
- Shadow Realm/Bad End Kingdom
The hideout of the villains. Emperor Nogo resides here, and the commanders plan their attacks.
- Library of Legends/Magical Library
The secret hideout of the Glitter Force. It can be accessed from any bookcase by moving the books inside it in just the right way.
- Rainbow Hills/Nanairogaoka
The town in which the Glitter Force lives.
Differences Between Glitter Force and Smile Pretty Cure!
- The names of the Glitter Force original have Japanese names but are “Americanized" and the dub. This goes the for villains' names and other characters names as well.
- The Buffons are originally called “Akanbes”.
- All of the music in the dub is re-scored.
- Only 40 episodes are dubbed in English, with 8 episodes omitted. This is due to Glitter Force originally being intended to air on Nickelodeon, where each season of a show must have exactly 20 episodes.
- Jubiland is originally called Märchenland and Rainbow Hills is referred to by the English translation of Nanairogaoka.
- The transformation phrase is changed to "Glitter Force Makeover!"
- Unlike in Smile Pretty Cure!, they also talk during the transformation.
- Fairies have been renamed 'Pixies' in the dub.
- The Shadow Realm is originally called Bad End Kingdom.
- The Library of Legends is originally called the Magical Library.
- The Glitter Shadow Force are originally called Bad End Pretty Cure.
- Many scenes of the show, including parts of the opening, the transformations, and attack sequences, are darkened heavily. This is to reduce the risk of viewers suffering epileptic seizures or developing eye problems from the bright and flashing colors.
- Various signs, letters, or anything featuring Japanese text is either replaced with English sentences and phrases or completely removed.
- Scenes without speech in the original now have speech to replace the silence.
- The ending alternates every four episodes. While the first two contained footage from the Japanese endings, the other eight are new with different CGI models.
- Smile Pretty Cure! has 48 episodes while the dub has 40, making a total of the last 8 episodes omitted.
- Some of the scenes of some episodes were completely removed.
- Glitter Force has a completely different background soundtrack than Smile Pretty Cure!.
- Wake Up, Shake Up performed by BLUSH
- What We Need performed by BLUSH
- Run (All Together) performed by BLUSH
- All Stars performed by BLUSH
- Believe In You performed by BLUSH
- You Can't Stop Me performed by BLUSH
- Yeah performed by BLUSH
- Every Woman performed by BLUSH
- Lucky Girl performed by BLUSH
- Glitter Force (Remix) performed by BLUSH